From the worldwide myths of a Cosmic Egg, to the individual Auric Egg, explore the meaning of this ancient symbol. Plus, an exercise to focus the mind and relax the body...
This Spring, as Ostara nears and colorful Easter Eggs start popping up all around, we decided to think more deeply about this natural form...We start at the macrocosmic universal level, with the metaphor of the Cosmic Egg, or the World Egg, as origin of life. Then we zoom into the microcosmic individual perspective and explore the Auric Egg, with a visualization to focus the mind and relax the body.
“According to Vedanta, universal mind is symbolized by hiranyagarbha, the golden womb or cosmic egg. At one pole of the universal mind is time, at other pole is space, and matter is at the centre.
During creation, time and space come closer to each other. The instant they meet at bindu there is an explosion within matter and creation begins.
Therefore, the universe is created by the convergence of the two poles of energy of universal mind, and is a product of an explosion at the nucleus of universal mind.”
The egg, a symbol of life and rebirth, is one of humanity's ancient metaphors for deciphering the patterns of nature. Representing the birth of the world, light and life emerging out of the darkness of infinite potentiality, the Cosmic Egg is a motif that appears in mythologies around the world, from Egyptian, Babylonian, Phoenician and many more. It is pre-creation held within the unknown, waiting to become the cosmos.
"One egg's lower half transformed
And became the earth below,
And its upper half transmuted
And became the sky above;
From the yolk the sun was made,
Light of day to shine upon us;
From the white the moon was formed,
Light of night to gleam above us;
All the colored brighter bits
Rose to be the stars of heaven
And the darker crumbs changed into
Clouds and cloudlets in the sky."
What does this mean for each of us on an individual level? Like any metaphor, its power comes from the unfolding of meaning on many levels, like a seed that grows slowly over time until the concept becomes fully integrated into our awareness.
The egg shape or egg idea is not only helps to picture life at a universal scale, it can also help conceptualize our personal aura and energetic boundaries, and aid in meditation. The exercise below reminds us that while the deepest ways of knowing are beyond words and beyond concepts, sometimes a visual aid, or something to hold on to, can be a wonderful stepping stone, and an indispensable tool for intentional living:
"Visualization is the preparation and key that leads you into truly seeing and experiencing the Light within. Visualization allows you to be receptive to another reality. The idea is to relax and allow the light to come in."
This helpful exercise can be done before beginning any meditation or reflection practice. It is also good for visualizing one's energetic boundaries to avoid taking on energy and emotions from other people in crowded public places.
It is a calming and centering exercise to focus the mind and relax the body. Visualizing an egg-shaped field extending around your body, then drawing down light into the egg, into yourself, filling up with the light letting it fill the egg completely, contained within an intact boundary.
"In performing this exercise you may begin to experience a vibrant uplifting of being, exhilaration and peace. This exercise is regenerative, healing and balancing. Consistent practice of this exercise will aid you in bringing forth a fuller experience of an inner reality."
1. Take your seat, sitting in a straight-backed chair with feet planted on the ground, hands in your lap; or sitting on the floor or a cushion with legs crossed.
2. Check in with your body, starting at your toes and moving upwards, consciously relaxing every part of your body until you reach the top of your head.
3. “Imagine a string at the top of your head pulling your spine erect. Feel the vertebrae of your spine gently stretched and your spine elongated and then mentally place each vertebrae beginning at the bottom of your spine, one upon the other, until your whole spine feels aligned. Then hold the position, but relax into a comfortable state.”
4. “Now, visualize yourself sitting within an Egg shaped field, which extends outward from the center (the navel - solar plexus region) of your body, three feet in all directions.” Keep breathing naturally throughout, staying open and relaxed.
5. From as high as you can imagine above your head, draw in pure white light into the egg, down through the top of your head and into your body. Anchor this light in your solar plexus area, continue breathing naturally.
6. On the in breath, feel and imagine the light coming into your body. As you exhale, allow the light to expand and fill your head, then your shoulders and arms, then allow the light to fill your torso area, then allow the light to fill your legs and feet.
7. After you feel that your whole body is filled with light, allow the light to expand past your body to fill the field of the circle then the whole of the Auric region until you can feel it three feet around your body in all directions. Imagine that the outer edge of this sphere is solid and impenetrable.
Continue to draw in the light into the area of your solar plexus and let it expand from that region to fill your aura ... Maintain this space for at least 5 -10 minutes or longer if you like.
It is recommended that you do this exercise if possible at least twice a day, once in the morning and once at night before retiring. It is also recommended that you have a journal nearby. You may wish to log your results, and keep a record of your progress and any spiritual experiences you may have.
“Then came the healing time, hearts started to shine,
soul felt so fine, oh what a freeing time it was.”